Monday 6 February 2017

My First Blog



  1. One thing I know about the content in this course: Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise and Uranus is the only planet that orbits the sun on its side. These changes in rotational direction can probably be traced back to the origins of these planets when asteroids, meteors, or other objects may have crashed into them, resulting in the planets' orbits being switched. I thought this was really cool because  such small objects like asteroids (relative to Venus and Uranus) were able to create such big impacts (literally and figuratively!) :) and change the planets' science and history forever. It also makes me wonder how an asteroid could have hit a gas planet like Uranus and if there are solid components in the makeup of that planet? Perhaps we could even be wrong and clockwise rotation is the original- the other planets could have been the ones that are switched. There is just so much more to research and discover with this topic and that is why this fascinates me!                                                          
  2. One thing I don't know/understand that is related to this course and what it is that confuses me about it: I am confused how the universe could have expanded from the size of a dot to its current size in a billionth of a billionth of a second (big bang theory) if the speed of light is the fastest anything can be. Does the universe follow the universal speed limit? This question has pondered me for so long due its connection to physics as well and was specifically on my mind when I was covering the special relativity unit. I hope this course will provide answers to this and more interesting questions as well. It's really interesting for me because I like making connections between the different sciences and asking questions related to one science by incorporating concepts from other sciences and subjects.

1 comment: